Pangong Tso (Tibetan: སྤང་གོང་མཚོ, Wylie: spang gong mtsho; Hindi: पांगोंग त्सो; Chinese: 班公错; pinyin: Bāngōng Cuò), Tibetan for “high grassland lake”, also referred to as Pangong Lake, is an endorheic lake in the Himalayas situated at a height of about 4,350 m (14,270 ft). It is 134 km (83 mi) long and extends from India to China. Approximately 60% of the length of the lake lies in China. The lake is 5 km (3.1 mi) wide at its broadest point. All together it covers 604 km2. During winter the lake freezes completely, despite being saline water. It is not a part of Indus river basin area and geographically a separate land locked river basin.
Pangong Tso can be reached in a five-hour drive from Leh, most of it on a rough and dramatic mountain road. The road crosses the villages of Shey and SaKTi and traverses the Chang La, where army sentries and a small teahouse greet visitors. The road down from Chang La leads through Tangste and other smaller villages, crossing river called Pagal Naala or “The Crazy Stream”. The spectacular lakeside is open during the tourist season, from May to September.
An Inner Line Permit is required to visit the lake as it lies on the Sino-Indian Line of Actual Control. While Indian nationals can obtain individual permits, others must have group permits (with a minimum of three persons) accompanied by an accredited guide; the tourist office in Leh issues the permits for a small fee. For security reasons, India does not permit boating.
- Indian filmmaker Mani Ratnam‘s Dil Se.. (1998) in the song “Satrangi Re” starring Shah Rukh Khan & Manisha Koirala.
- Featured as a filming location in The Fall (2006).
- Some parts of the 2008 film, Heroes (2008).
- Climax scene of the 2009 film, 3 Idiots.
- Parts of the 2012 film Jab Tak Hai Jaan, in particular, Anushka Sharma‘s bikini scene were shot here. This was Actor Shah Rukh Khan‘s second film recorded here.
- Divya Khosla Kumar 2016 Hindi film Sanam Re
- Surra Surra song from Shakti (2011).
- Subah Hogee song from Waqt: The Race Against Time.
- Pyar Ke Silsile song from Na Jaane Kabse (2011).
- Dil Tera Ho Gaya song from Taur Mittran Di.
- Dil Haara song from Tashan starring Saif Ali Khan & Kareena Kapoor
- Banjarey song from the movie Fugly
- Telugu song from Aagadu starring Mahesh Babu & Tamannaah
- Enna Aachu song in the 2011 Tamil movie Vedi